At the time of the Roman invasion the site which was to become Londinium contained other rivers and streams besides the Thames. These rivers were not merely trickles of water that could be stepped over as you roamed the then countryside, they were large enough to navigate with barges and small ships. As the centuries passed these waterways became either clogged with rubbish, diverted to enable building work, or simply filled in and built over. They were used as natural sewers and made to pass through the tunnels, when constructed. By the time Stow came to write about them in the sixteenth century most had already disappeared completely, seeping away to find new underground routes to follow. Occasionally, water has been found emerging from the old courses of these streams. One notable case was when the Walbrook reappeared around the foundations of the Bank of England in the 1800’s. There were also many underground streams to which wells were dug. Some modern day names for areas originate from where these were placed, many of them quite famous. Clerkenwell comes from the ‘Clerks Well’, where the office workers obtained their water. The well is still there in an office building.
The river Walbrook had been paved over and built upon many centuries before John Stow published his Survey of London in 1598. Much of his information came from earlier writers and finding left over evidence such as old sluice gates. In fact, it started to disappear before the Romans left in 410 even though they used it to reach the Temple of Mithras on it’s bank by barge. It was the easiest place to dispose of building waste. After they left the river was used to dump just about anything including human waste. By the mid 1400's it was as if it had never existed.This makes it hard to plot the precise course of the river, but with later excavations revealing the line of the river bed in certain places we can be almost sure of the route it took through the City and on to the Thames.
The area outside the northern City wall was known as Moor Fields (the famous Moorfields Eye Hospital takes its name from here.) It was a large marshy plain; a bog in fact. The Walbrook entered the city from here. It was quite a large stream with smaller tributaries joining it after it passed through the wall.
There is mention of bridges that were built over the river once it had entered, close to All Hallows Church. From here it flowed to Copthall Avenue which can be seen today as a street off London Wall. There was a bridge at this point and from there it flowed down into Tokenhouse Yard. St. Margaret’s Church which stands next to Tokenhouse yard, was built over the river.
It then made a sharp turn under what is now the Bank of England, into Princes Street, flowing past the Grocers Hall. From there onto Poultry where, in 1456, St. Mildred's Church was erected over it. The Temple of Mithras stood beside the river as it passed Bucklersbury and flowed down to the Thames about ten metres west of the street now called Walbrook. Down Cloak Lane and under Horseshoe Bridge, it made a sharp change of course at the aptly named Elbow Lane, which is now College Street. From there it entered the Thames about 30 metres from Cannon Street. In the early days, the Thames shore line could come up as far as Thames Street at high tide.
Before reaching the Thames the Walbrook would have passed through Bucklersbury Passage. During the construction of the present building at No. 1 Poultry archaeologists were allowed access and made some interesting finds. These included a mosaic which is now in the Museum of London. It flowed across the street to St. Stephens Walbrook and the Temple of Mithras was situated on the site of the Slug and Lettuce (at the time of updating, 2012, this has been demolished).
The Walbrook Square project was purchased by the Bloomberg company in 2010, which decided to restore the Mithraeum to its original site as part of their new European headquarters.The Temple of Mithras is now 7 metres below the modern street level, as part of an exhibition space beneath the Bloomberg building.
Exotic drinks like chocolate and coffee became fashionable in the 1600’s.The first coffee shop in the City opened in Saint Michael’s Alley in 1652 under the name of Pasqua Rosee. This was on the site of what is now the Jamaica Wine House.
A wooden box on the counter with a slot for coins and the words “To Increase Promptitude”. The word TIP was born! The coffee house fashion continued and at one time there were around 3,000 in the City. Many now famous companies were founded in these shops. Lloyds Register, Lloyds of London and the London Stock Exchange were all founded in one.
The Fleet was the largest of London’s rivers after from the Thames and flowed through a large valley. Ludgate Hill and Holborn were on opposite sides of this valley as it neared the end of it’s journey to the Thames. Holborn Viaduct was built to ease the pressure on travellers and traders of having to negotiate steep slopes while travelling east or west with a cart. Although the river ran outside the walls of the Square Mile it was still within the outer City boundaries (known as “without the walls”) to deserve a mention here.
The Fleet river originates from the joining of two sources. One either side of Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath. It leaves behind the Hampstead Ponds and travels underground down Fleet Road to Camden. It then passes right underneath the Regents Canal and on to Kings Cross, which was in medieval times called Battlebridge. This was supposedly named after the bridge where Boudica was defeated in battle but does not fit in with many historians findings. Many smaller tributaries joined the Fleet on its journey through London (Without the City walls). Two of these tributaries emerged in Holborn.
It then flowed down Farringdon Road. There were a few bridges over this part. Stow mentions five of them in his 1598 survey. The Fleet Bridge, Ludgate Bridge, Oldbourne Bridge, Cowbridge, and a timber bridge between Blackfriars Monastery and Bridewell Palace. From here it flowed on to meet the Thames. It was known by several other names including Hole Bourne, Turnmill Creek, and the Wells River. If you visit the Farringdon area today you will still find street names associated with the river, like Cowcross Street and Turnmill Street. At the time of the Roman occupation the mouth of the Fleet was around 200 metres wide.
Once again it was man and his disregard for the environment that caused the demise of the Fleet river. Apart from locals using it to deposit excrement, dead animals and anything else needing to be disposed of, the butchers of nearby Smithfield meat market used it to take away their offal and animal blood. The area was also used by leather tanneries. The stench in London must have been terrible! This is why flowers were an important part of many of the official ceremonies.Sir Christopher Wren devised a plan to turn it into a canal, which when finished, by all accounts, looked very picturesque. Unfortunately this didn’t deter the meat traders and ‘turd men’ so it wasn’t long before it was a heaving mass of animal by-
In his book "The Groundwater Diaries" Tim Bradford points out that there are no streets or parks named after this river. He also notes that it’s course flowed underneath many important places in London, and lightheartedly wondered if it could be the river of power and secrecy. It does in fact pass near many famous London landmarks including Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and Lord’s cricket ground.
The Tyburn was a small stream with its source at Shepherds Well, South of Hampstead. As with the other rivers, smaller tributaries joined it on the journey to the Thames. It has been the most difficult to plot an exact course after it left Westminster Abbey, owing to the lack of any early maps showing the areas through which it flowed in any great detail. The earliest written mention of the Tyburn dates back to around 785 AD.
The course it took to reach the abbey is fairly straightforward. It is only after this point that it becomes more elusive. From Shepherds Well, it flowed through Swiss Cottage to Regents Park, where it was joined by another stream from Belsize Park. Like the Fleet River, The Tyburn now crosses the Regents Canal, this time however, it goes over the canal via an aqueduct. It was joined by a second tributary somewhere near the London Zoo, and flowed from there, down to Marylebone Lane. It ran across Oxford Street (then Military Way), headed towards Grosvenor Square, Berkley Square, and underground through Piccadilly towards where Buckingham Palace is situated. This is where confusion sets in.
From the place where it crossed Oxford Street a conduit was built in 1236 to supply water to the City. From Buckingham Palace onwards is where the lack of adequate maps make the task of tracing the watercourse more difficult. Waller and Besant, in 1895, took the view that it flowed on to Westminster and formed an island by splitting into two. The Abbey is supposed to have been built on this island.Ormsby’s version, is that after the division, one stream made its way to Westminster and the other to Vauxhall Bridge. This made an even larger island.
The research of Woods, using many maps and documents from the 1600’s, caused him to believe that there was no division, and that no part of the Tyburn flowed to Westminster. This created no islands. In his book ‘The lost rivers of London’ (1960), Nicholas Barton makes the following suggestion, which sounds very logical to me:
After 1236, when the conduit was built to take water from the Tyburn into the City, only a trickle was left to carry on. As other nearby sources were impounded in 1355, and as far away as Paddington in 1439, it seems that the Tyburn had stopped supplying enough water. This would explain the lack of information on the river after this time.
|Kings and Queens|
|People & places (1)|
|The Great Fire|
|The Statuary (1)|
|The City Walls|
|People & places (2)|
|People & places (3)|
|The Churches (1)|
|Inns of Court|
|Lord Mayors Show|
|A - Z of of Companies|
|Fire report 02|
|Gilt of Cain|
|Tower Hamlets (1)|
|1950's lifestyle (1)|
|Tower of London|
|Bethnal Green (1)|
|Isle of Dogs|
|The Bell Foundry|
|Kids in the 50's|
|York Hall Baths|